Re: Process stuck in vmmaps on 8.0-BETA1

From: John Marshall <john.marshall_at_riverwillow.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:44:48 +1000
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, 15:42 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 07:10:50PM +1000, John Marshall wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, 16:24 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you, I see what is going on. Please, try the following patch.
> >
> > Thank you Kostik,
> >
> > I applied your patch to vm_map.c and rebuilt the kernel.  Now the
> > process crashes instead - but I think it is getting beyond the point
> > where it was hanging.
> >
> > I rebuilt ntpd on the patched kernel and it still produces this crash.
>
> This is obviously different issue. Besiddes, backtrace does not make
> much sense.
>
> You need to rebuild and install lib/libc, lib/libthr and
> libexec/rtld-elf with debugging symbols. Easiest way to do this is to
> enter into each listed src/ subdirectory and do
> 	make obj
> 	make clean
> 	make depend
> 	make all install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
> and then start ntpd again and get the backtrace, might by "bt full" will
> be more informative.

Thank you for the help.  This is what I saw after following your
instructions...

(gdb) bt full
#0  memset () at /usr/src/lib/libc/i386/string/memset.S:78
No locals.
#1  0x00006000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x28085c9b in map_object (fd=6,
    path=0x280c0080 "/usr/local/lib/nss_winbind.so.1", sb=0xbfbfdbac)
    at /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/map_object.c:196
	obj = Variable "obj" is not available.
Current language:  auto; currently asm

> BTW, do you use NIS ?

Yes, and I also have winbind.  If I remove winbind from
/etc/nsswitch.conf then ntpd runs happily.  I suspect that this might be
related to the GSSAPI authentication not working for sshd.  I shall now
turn my attention to that problem.

Thank you for your help in resolving the initial vmmaps problem - and
for your patch to vm_map.c.  I think we've progressed far enough beyond
that problem to close this thread.

Thank you again for your help.

--
John Marshall