Re: UTF-8 on 8.0-CURRENT

From: Kamigishi Rei <spambox_at_haruhiism.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:37:26 +0400
Franck Royer wrote:
> I wanna know where is the development of the support of utf-8 locale on
> the current branch. Can we use it or it still considering highly
> experimental ? Is there any specific port to install or a standard
> configuration is enough ?
> Or did I misunderstand that Freebsd will support native utf-8 ?

I'm using ja_JP.UTF-8 in ssh *and* on serial console since at least
6-STABLE. However, since the current console driver only supports 8 bit
character representation, console support is rendered useless.
So for local display/keyboard, we'll have to wait until we get a
VGA/framebuffer console that supports displaying of more than 256
characters.
--
Kamigishi Rei
KREI-RIPE