Re: Rebuild all network-related kernel modules on 8-current due to vnet allocator change

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:20:37 -0700
Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Kamigishi Rei<spambox_at_haruhiism.net> wrote:
>> Barney Cordoba wrote:
>>> Is there a writeup on the vnet stuff? It seems to be creeping into
>>> everything.
>>>
>> Basically it's VIMAGE, FreeBSD's network virtualisation framework.
>> If you look it up in google, you'll get
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NetworkVirtualization which has a link to the
>> project page (not frequently updated, though).
>> There is a  mailing list related to virtualisation,
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-virtualization - see
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2008-May/000000.html
>> for some brief information.
>>
>> --
>> Kamigishi Rei
>> KREI-RIPE
>

> I am a little lost, I am just guessing that VIMAGE is now usable in -CURRENT
> that is GREAT, does someone know of a wiki page of some sort that
> would show a few examples of how to use it?

Yes it is in -current but we are still tweaking it.
there will be an announcement on how to use it when we are happy with
it. It is slated to be an announced feature of 8.0 though it may come
with a "probably wisest to not use in production until 8.1" note.
In 8.x vimage is integrated with jails meaning that you control it
with the jail utilities.