Re: (CTRL-C to abort) flood when core dumps

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:17:26 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Alexander Best wrote:

> when debug.debugger_on_panic is 0, a panic occurs and the core dumps the
> console gets flooded with the following notice:
>
> (CTRL-C to abort)
>
> could we please output the warning only once? or every 10 seconds or so?

Normally that message is printed only when a key other than ctrl-c is hit
during the dump.  It's certainly possible to rate-limit the message, or just
limit it to printing once, but the more interesting question is why the kernel
thinks a key is (effectively) held down such that it needs to print
repeatedly.  Could you tell us a bit more about your configuration -- ps/2 /
usb / serial console?  Mouse of some sort?  Virtual machine or real machine?
Any other problems with keyboards during normal operation?  Any chance a key
is being held down?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge