Re: 8.0-BETA1 on a HP DL585 Issues

From: Andrew Tulloch <andrew_at_flarn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:13:22 +0100
2009/7/16 Raul <raul_at_pop.isdefe.es>:
> Chris Ruiz escribió:
>
>>> I've upgraded one of our HP DL585's (4xdual core opteron, 16GB ram)
>>> from 7.2 to 8.0-BETA1 and seem to have a couple of issues.
>
> [....]
>
> Same symptoms here with HP dl385's.
>
> [....]
>>
>> Try setting hw.pci.mcfg=0 at the boot loader prompt or in
>> /boot/loader.conf and see if that helps with this issue.
>
> I've tried it with today sources (BETA2 ;D) without success :/
> My last resort (verbose boot) doesn't work so I've used the loader prompt to
> set hw.pci.mcfg
>
> My mail on stable talk about the same problems:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-July/051105.html

Does look like the same problem.

I've noticed both leds flashing on one of the built in bge NICs on the
back of the machine, which doesn't seem to be happening on an
identical machine running 7.2-STABLE.

> Good news are that I am also testing 8 on a 360 g4 (also amd64) and it has
> had other problems booting BETA1 ... until today!. It has started perfectly
> with BETA2 sources from a fresh 7.2 release BD. I plan to test multicast
> routing (xorp) on this box ... so let's see.

There seemed to be a ciss driver problem that got fixed that probably
affected both the AMD and Intel based HP machines.

I've got some 360G5's idle so I'll see if I can try on one of those
and see if it's just the AMD based machines that have this problem.

Managed to get it booted again with verbose this time, dmesg attached,
it's really random whether it hangs or not.

Regards,
Andrew