Re: CARP broken on -CURRENT?

From: Ian FREISLICH <ianf_at_clue.co.za>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:06:44 +0200
Xin LI wrote:
> Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> >      To use carp, the administrator needs to configure at minimum
> >      a common virtual host ID (VHID) and virtual host IP address
> >      on each machine which is to take part in the virtual group.
> >      Additional parameters can also be set on a per-interface basis:
> >      advbase and advskew, which are used to control how frequently
> >      the host sends advertisements when it is the master for a
> >      virtual host, and pass which is used to authenticate carp
> >      advertisements.
>
> Um...  In order to narrow this down I have removed advbase setting from
> both servers (now they use the default number, 1) but seems no luck.
>
> I have further checked netstat -s, it seems that only the CARP packets
> with bad length (which are really VRRP packets) are being counted into
> the "received" packets, and were all discarded (of course).  I've
> manually put these interfaces down and will check back to see if there
> is some clue in our code in the afternoon.
>
> Jul 16 12:22:58 gate2 kernel: carp_input: received len 20 <
> sizeof(struct carp_header) on em0
> Jul 16 12:23:01 gate2 kernel: carp_input: received len 20 <
> sizeof(struct carp_header) on em0

I've only ever encountered messages like these when there's been a
linux host on the same network with ucarp or heartbeat running
sending their broken "carp" packets with a vhid that's the same as
one I was using.

Have you tried setting a "pass" on your carp interfaces?  Are you
sure it's your host that's generating these short carp packets?  Use
'tcpdump -eni <interface> proto carp' to verify.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich