Re: Is extra USB event possible in FreeBSD 8?

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:18:19 +0200
On Friday 17 July 2009 10:55:56 Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
> If it is, this option is out. Almost all of the USB mass storage devices,
> eg. USB flash disks, cameras, audio players, etc. are already formatted. We
> cannot ask users to format first (ie. in FreeBSD terms create disk lables,
> create files systems, etc) before use as it make no sense at all. Eg. One
> buy a camera at the airport, take photos on a tour, after the tour wants to
> transfer photos to the computer. Now its too late to create labels.
>
> Therefore, your first option sounds interesting. I'm not sure is it the
> correct way forward. As you are the USB expert, could you recommend the
> correct solution?

Hi,

Seems to me like this is not an USB problem, at first. USB does not have any
place to put the information. The CAM API needs to be extended first, to be
able to pass along the kind of information you want, that is my
recommendation.

What is your solution for multi-card-readers, where multiple hardware units
will get the same vendor ID, product ID and serial number?

--HPS