Re: Attempting ZFS Only Install of 7.2

From: Drew Tomlinson <drew_at_mykitchentable.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:03:33 -0700
Scot Hetzel wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Drew Tomlinson <drew_at_mykitchentable.net>:
>
>>> 4. Install FreeBSD from copy of install CD to ZFS. I used sysinstall with
>>> custom
>>> options (Install Root and Media Type)
>>>
>> I am stuck at this point.  I have my zpool mounted at /zpool in the FixIt
>> environment.  Then I exit FixIt and choose  "Custom" from sysinstall.  I set
>> appropriate  "Options".  Next I select my distributions.  Finally I hit
>> "Commit" but systinstall complains that I haven't labeled any disks.  What
>> step am I missing?
>>

> Just follow these steps to install FreeBSD from the Fixit environment:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot#installFreeBSD

Thanks.  I followed those steps to get the system installed and the rest
of the steps in Andrey's post.

I had one more issue before I got a full working system.  I had to add:

vfs.root.mountfrom.options="rw"

to /boot/loader.conf.  Without that line, I got some error telling me to
try 'set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw' and it left me at a "mountfrom>"
prompt.  But unfortunately, my USB keyboard didn't work at that prompt.
Thus I rebooted from FixIt and added the line above.  One more reboot
and voila!  ZFS on Root.

Thanks for all the help,

Drew

--