Re: HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:33:46 -0400
On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 20:26 +0200, Thomas Backman wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2009, at 20:16, Ken Smith wrote:
> > The problem is that as of the next time you update a machine that had
> > been running -current you are best off reinstalling all ports or other
> > applications you have on the machine.  When you reboot after doing the
> > update to the base system everything you have installed will still
> > work
> > because the old shared library versions will still be there.  However
> > anything you build on the machine after its base system gets updated
> > would be linked against the newer base system shared libraries but any
> > libraries that are part of ports or other applications (e.g. the Xorg
> > libraries) would have been linked against the older library versions.
> > You really don't want to leave things that way.
> So, to be clear: a fresh ports tree and "portupgrade -af" after
> building and installing r195767+ should be enough to solve any
> problems? (installkernel, installworld, reboot, portupgrade -af)

Correct for those of you who let portupgrade do all the building for you
(which the example command you give does).  The reason I'm being careful
is portupgrade can also be told to fetch pre-built packages.  At the
moment that will not work, if you use that approach please hold off
until the ports folks let us know the packages have been rebuilt.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu