minidump size

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:28:08 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

I am booting an amd64 machine with 8GB RAM from NFS (NFS Root). If I
enter the debugger by the time I get to the login prompt or shortly
afterwards and run call doadump the dump size is between 1.2 and 1.9GB
(sometimes I logged in ran netstat, ps and the like, rebuilt a library).

For a freshly booted system this sounds huge; no I am not using any
disk and the swap space only for the dumps (and thus no ZFS either
just to answer that question upfront).

Has anyone an idea why the minidumps are so huge at this stage of
uptime?   Is it because of the NFS root?

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                      The greatest risk is not taking one.