Re: FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 and DELL Poweredge 1930: USB oddities

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:33:19 +0200
On Tuesday 21 July 2009 13:31:28 O. Hartmann wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 now a while on a server we use for
> scientific purposes. I realize problems since a couple of weeks now
> rendering the box instable. Attaching the USB keyboard to any of the
> front USB ports seems to induce some issues - only one port is capable
> of delivering keyboard functionality, the alternative one does not offer
> a keyboard after reboot. Interestingly, a similar issue is recognized on
> another FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 box. The system is crashing immediately
> after bootup when moving the USB mouse when the mouse is NOT attached to
> as specific set of two USB ports (USB is only used for mouse, nothing
> else, keyboard is PS/2)!
>
> Referrring to the problems recognized on the DELL box, I can only
> provide a most recent dmesg-output after a crash and reattaching the
> keyboard to another USB port.
>
> Any suggestions out there?

It might be that the EHCI does not support addressing 16GBytes of RAM, or even
4GB's of RAM. In your case the EHCI will be moving data using bounce buffers
in the lower 4GBytes of RAM. Try reducing the amount of RAM to 2GBytes.

Are you able to extract a backtrace from the crash. Sounds like a DMA/Busdma
problem.

--HPS