Re: FreeBSD-8-BETA2 on MacBookPro5.5 (regression issue)

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:15:39 -0400
On Wednesday 22 July 2009 08:07 am, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Hans Petter, Jung-uk, good day.
>
> Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 01:42:20PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > I can confirm that FreeBSD/i386 7.2-RELEASE is booting fine on my
> > MacBookPro5.5, so it appears to me like a regression issue that
> > FreeBSD/i386 8.0-BETA2 is not booting fine.
>
> I happen to have MacBook 5,1 and it behaves as your one, but mine
> versions are 7.2/amd64 and 8.0-BETA<ANYTHING>/amd64.
>
> > The only significant dmesg difference I see is that in 7.2 there
> > is a "kbd0 at kbdmux0" line before acpi0 is probed.
>
> I see this message both for 7.x and 8.0.
>
> The thing is that the IRQ for SCI at my MacBook is 9, so it may be
> really related to the keyboard issues.  May be SCI interrupt is
> posted after ACPI is enabled and this confuses something.  I'll try
> to look at how APIC stuff is routed, but not today.

That's quite possible scenario.  FYI, all new nVidia chipset Mac's
have almost identical ACPI tables.  The SMM port is at 0x52e while
old Intel Macs were at 0xb2, AFAIK.  When we do AcpiEnable(), ACPICA
checks if the SCI_EN bit is set.  If not, it tries to enable it via
writing ACPI_ENABLE value to SMI_CMD port from FADT.  In this case,
that effectively ends up doing:

bus_space_write_1(ACPI_BUS_SPACE_IO, ACPI_BUS_HANDLE, 0x52e, 0xf0);

According to HPS, this freezes the system as if it doesn't come back
from the SMI handler.

Jung-uk Kim