Re: Linux NFS ate my bge

From: Chris Hedley <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 00:15:20 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    If you are using a NFS UDP mount, try using a NFS TCP mount instead.
>    This could very well instantly fix your issues even if it does not
>    solve the underlying bugs.
>    Use of a TCP mount instead of a UDP mount solves the sockbuf and
>    IP fragmentation issues.  The TCP connection will not use fragmented IP
>    packets, will not blow away the server's receive-side sockbuf, and
>    does a much better job dealing with any packet loss, to boot.

"But I'm already using TCP!" I was about to say - actually turns out I'm
not, and I have to wonder if my bright idea to change to UDP (probably for
performance reasons, though I don't think it made any difference)
coincides with the problems I was seeing.  I'll give it a try and see how
I get on.  I think I'll still follow Daniel's kind suggestion for a
replacement interface card, but this may well make things a bit less
painful in the meantime.

I'll resume my network-intensive KDE build tomorrow and post my findings
(or, hopefully, lack thereof as far as outages are concerned!)

Chris.