Re: HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd_at_areilly.bpc-users.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:26:51 +1000
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 03:30:33PM -0400, David Schultz wrote:
> I do the same thing.  I wish the ports system kept track of which
> ports were installed explicitly by me, and which were only
> dependencies.  Then it would be possible to garbage collect ports
> that are no longer needed.

Portmaster -s will cull ports that are "no longer depended on".
Seems to work fairly well.

You can (probably) find the list of ports that you installed
deliberately by trawling through /var/db/pkg for those that
don't have a +REQUIRED_BY file.  (The portmaster -s trick works
by finding ports that have a +REQUIRED_BY file that is empty, I
believe.)

Cheers,

--
Andrew