Re: library compat for FreeBSD7x

From: Ruben de Groot <mail25_at_bzerk.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:40:57 +0200
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:41:15PM +0200, Guido Falsi typed:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:05:48PM +0200, Ruben de Groot wrote:

> > > You'll have to rempile all ports anyway.
> >
> > Erm, doesn't that defeat the whole point of having compat* libraries?
>
> The problem is that while a single port directly depending on a compat
> library may work indefinitely this way, you'll have many problems when
> you mix and match ports depending on libraries from other ports, mixing
> ld and new libraries dependancies.

Can you give a concrete example of this? I've never had any such problems.

> I never used the compat bits, but I really think they are there for
> software you have just in binary form, and no way to recompile.

That may be the main reason, but there can be many others.
For example, I'm still using the subversion 1.5 client compiled on 6.x
because the newer version from ports (1.6) doesn't play nice with eclipse
(subclipse).

> If recompiling all ports is problematic just wait a few days and uupdate
> using packages...

Updating using packages might not be an option at all. Example: mod_php5

Ruben