Re: library compat for FreeBSD7x

From: Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:39:54 +0300
subbsd wrote:
> after the bump version on FreeBSD8-Beta2, some application needs for old
> library. But misc/compat7x ports not found for this. It still not ready?
> thanks!

Actually compat port messes things a bit if a newly compiled binary is
looking for new lib and it's next not-so-fresh dependency looks for the
older one you'll get one set of symbols imported twice. libmap.conf is a
  just a more painless solution, yet you should rebuild all binaries.

There's a good port sysutils/libchk which you can use to deal with this.
It rummages through your bin/lib directories and reports any
discrepancies it finds. It outputs something like:

Unresolvable link(s) found in: /usr/local/bin/lp
         libssl.so.5
         libcrypto.so.5
         libcrypt.so.4

I use this to create the list of packages I need to rebuild:

pkg_which `grep Unresolvable libchk.out | sed 's|.* in: ||'` | sort -u |
grep -v '^\?$'

This list can be later given to something like portupgrade.

The same file can be used to automatically generate libmap.conf. However
I havn't look at it.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.