Re: HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:25:07 +0930
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, John Baldwin wrote:
> > How many of those 800 ports are actually necessary and used?
> > It would be better to get generate a complete list of your
> > installed ports, use pkg_deinstall or pkg_delete to remove
> > all ports, and then selectively re-install ports that are
> > actually used.
>
> Xorg takes up ~200 ports alone (not including dependencies like perl,
> etc.) since the Xorg decided release engineering was too hard.  Throw
> in things like KDE, OOo, Firefox, etc. for a desktop and you can get
> a fairly high package count. :-/

Ooh I only have 1315 on mine, but a 1.4GHz Pentium-M is pretty slow
these days :(

Perhaps there needs to be a psuedo port for 'base' (or a few) so that
you can easily determine if you have already upgraded something against
the new base you installed.

Certainly I find it difficult to leave my laptop on for long enough to
recompile everything when I upgrade -current (since I actually use it
for work), and portupgrade -fa has no way to tell if it's already done
something. If there were pseudo base ports you could tell it to force
upgrade everything that depends on the old base port and it would DTRT.

I, of course, have no patches for such a thing :)

I've deleted /usr/local & /var/db/pkg in the past, it can be very
therapeutic :) However it is not so good when your mp3 collection is
mounted on /usr/local/mp3 and you forgot to unmount it first.. :(
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum