Re: RFC: ATA to CAM integration patch

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:04:34 -0400
At 01:24 PM 7/30/2009, Alexander Motin wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
>>Tried with postmark and bonnie.  Bonnie (no surprise) doesnt show
>>any differences, but postmark shows some
>>In AHCI mode
>>Time:
>>         22 seconds total
>>         22 seconds of transactions (681 per second)
>>and in stock kernel ATA  mode
>>Time:
>>         38 seconds total
>>         37 seconds of transactions (405 per second)
>
>"Some", you said? :) It's really cool! Have you checked it twice?

I just did, and it actually does vary quite a bit.  I am going to
re-run some longer tests as well as reduce the amount of memory in
the machine as I wonder if thats throwing the results out of whack

I ran the same tests 7 times just now on both sets of drivers

AHCI
         20 seconds of transactions (500 per second)
         42 seconds of transactions (238 per second)
         20 seconds of transactions (500 per second)
         29 seconds of transactions (344 per second)
         26 seconds of transactions (384 per second)
         26 seconds of transactions (384 per second)
         36 seconds of transactions (277 per second)

avg 375

ATA
         20 seconds of transactions (500 per second)
         51 seconds of transactions (196 per second)
         50 seconds of transactions (200 per second)
         40 seconds of transactions (250 per second)
         52 seconds of transactions (192 per second)
         20 seconds of transactions (500 per second)
         40 seconds of transactions (250 per second)
avg 298

#!/bin/sh
d=`date "+%H-%M-%S"`
for counter in `jot 7`
do
echo $counter
echo Loop $counter >> /root/results$d
/usr/local/sbin/postmark /root/pm.pm >> /root/results$d
sleep 5
done

pm.pm is

set size 300 250000
set transactions 10000
set location /tinderbox
run
quit

One other detail, on the drive info, why does it show - for NCQ status ?

0(freebsd-current2)# camcontrol identify 0:0:0
pass0: <ST3250310NS SN05> ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 2.x device

Protocol              SATA revision 2.x
device model          ST3250310NS
serial number         9SF0PRR5
firmware revision     SN05
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported       488397168 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value           Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   yes       -      31/0x1F
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no      31/0x1F
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/0x00
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/0x00  254/0xFE

atacontrol does it as well
# atacontrol cap ad4

[...]

         ---Mike