Re: FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 crashes on SMP under load

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 19:02:04 +0200
Sven Esbjerg wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 04:08:31PM +0200, Attilio Rao wrote:
>> 2009/7/27 O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>:
>>> I have the problem of crashing FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2/amd64 under load on all of
>>> our SMP boxes. Is there an issue known at the moment? If not, I will prepare
>>> the kernel for whitnessing and provide more informations, if you wish.
>> Please do it.
>> If possible compile with:
>> KDB, DDB, INVARIANT_SUPPORT, INVARIANTS, WITNESS and without WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
>>
>> Along with the panic report also provide in form of DDB textdump (man
>> 4 textdump) or plain text got from the console:
>> bt, ps, show alllocks, alltrace, show allpcpu
>

> I just installed BETA-2 AMD64 on a PC with the following components.
>
> Asus M4A78-HTPC, AMD Phenom II X4 BE (3.2GHz), 4G OCZ RAM, 300G SATA Seagate
> disk.
>
> FreeBSD freezes after a few seconds or during boot :(
>
> Since the mobo does not have PS2 connector and a serial port I don't know how
> to debug this at all.
>
> Any clues for how to go about this?
>

> -Sven Esbjerg

On a Dell PowerEdge 1950-III, it helped pluggin the keyboard into
another USB port. A similar phenomenon is with another FreeBSD
8.0-BETA2/amd64 SMP box. While SMP kernel is trying to boot, I can't use
specific USB ports for mouse or keyboard, the box immediately crashes
when moving mouse or typing the keyboard - the same with the Dell Server
(also SMP, the same OS release).

While using UP kernel on both boxes, I do not see this issue.

Try plugging keyboard into another USB port, if any an watch what happens.

The issue discussed around here in previous postings is suspected to be
an bug in netisr.c code - or something related. As far as your box does
not have network traffic at the beginning, the nug we mentioned
shouldn't appear.Maybe you can force to boot into single user mode from
boot loader menu and then disable SMP via sysctl in /boot/loader.conf or
try recompile kernel without SMP support and check whether the box is
capable of booting.