Re: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Timed out / receiving NFS error when trying to mount NFS file system after make world

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:35:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Hello,
> since today I get this error when trying to mount a NFS filesystem from NFS
> server:
>
> [udp] foo:/home: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Timed out
>
> Both boxes, cleint and server, are most recent FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/amd64 from
> today's buildworld/make kernel.
>
> nfsd is up and running and worked that way days before.
>
> I saw commitments of new NFSv4 code, are these causing this issue? Is 8.0
> supposed to be offering nfsv4-server capabilities which I need to switch on
> anyway?

By default, everything should work just like before, using the vanilla NFS
server, etc. The message indicates that mountd wasn't responding. So,
first off, check that it is running.

I did integrate some changes into mountd for the new experimental nfs
subsystem, but those should only be invoked if "-e" was provided on its
command line.

I'll go through the changes I made to mountd.c again, but it has been
working ok for me.

> I also tried mount -t newnfs on that NFS filesystem but without any success.
> Is this a fault of mine or are temporarely not-working-condition?

Using "mount -t newnfs" uses the experimental nfs client instead of the
regular one, but they should both work. The problem seems to be an
unresponsive mountd.

Let us know if you find out anything more about it, rick