Re: sysinstall, GJOURNAL and ZFS

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon_at_wolves.k12.mo.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:55:15 -0500
Quoting Dmitry Morozovsky <marck_at_rinet.ru>:

> Well, I can see at least one rather big problem with bgfsck (or with
> snapshots to be more precise): inappropriate time of file system
> lock on snapshot creation. On not-too-big 300G ufs2 not-too-heavy
> loaded snapshot creation time is 20+ minutes, and 5+ from that file
> system blocked even on reads.  This looks unacceptable for me for
> any real use.

The snapshot time depends heavily on the I/O throughput of your disk
subsystem.  On a several year old system with 5 x 72GB 15KRPM U320
SCSI drives in a RAID5 array, a fairly well loaded 260GB filesystem
(90GB used, 354K out of 8M inodes used, and several hundred MB to a GB
of changes per day) completes a snapshot in exactly 2 minutes.  2
minutes is still too long to be blocking I/O in the middle of the day
when it is being actively used, so I just take 1 snapshot per day
while it is idle.  I would love to put ZFS on this system so that I
could have finer grained snapshots, but I need user quota support
which our ZFS currently lacks.

--

Chris Dillon - NetEng/SysAdm
Reeds Spring R-IV School District