Re: ZFS: Silent/hidden errors, nothing logged anywhere

From: Kip Macy <kip.macy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:01:57 -0700
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Thomas Backman<serenity_at_exscape.org> wrote:
> OK, so I filed a PR late May (kern/135050):
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=135050 .
> I don't know if this is a "feature" or a bug, but it really should be
> considered the latter. The data could be repaired in the background without
> the user ever knowing - until the disk dies completely. I'd prefer to have
> warning signs (i.e. checksum errors) so that I can buy a replacement drive
> *before* that.
>
> Not only does this mean that errors can go unnoticed, but also that it's
> impossible to figure out which disk is broken, if ZFS has *temporarily*
> repaired the broken data! THAT is REALLY bad!
> Is this something that we can expect to see changed before 8.0-RELEASE?

I'm fairly certain that we've discussed this already. Solaris uses FMA
- I don't think that I'll get to a "real fix" any time soon. The time
that I do have will go to addressing stability problems (memory
over-allocation, NFS interaction, control directory mounts) all of
which cause panics. Maintaining them persistently in the label doesn't
make sense  -  when do you drop them? Would a simple log message about
the number of checksum errors suffice?

Cheers,
Kip