Re: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Timed out / receiving NFS error when trying to mount NFS file system after make world

From: Martin <nakal_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:33:15 +0200
Am Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:17:10 -0400 (EDT)
schrieb Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>:

> It seems that the problem is specific to "udp" and some arches. (I
> can't reproduce it on i386 and at least one person sees it on amd64.)
>
> Maybe people who see the problem can post to the -current list, noting
> what arch they are using and network config (running virtualized, what
> net hardware, multiple net interfaces, etc).
>
> Hopefully there is some commonality among them?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help tracking this down, rick

Hi Rick.

I've got also a problem mounting nfs over tcp on my amd64 (kernel of
yesterday).

I tried to find out what is happening and noticed that I don't get a
response back from rpcbind. This is being caused by my unusual
configuration. I've got a public IP and an internal one (2 NICs).
Packets sometimes arrive at one NIC and are being sent back over the
other.

The real problem is that rpcbind throws away the second "-h" parameter
so it does not listen and use the second NIC. I verified it by rpcinfo.
It does not use any ports on my second NIC that I specified in rc.conf.

As a result, I removed all "-h" options, so rpcbind listens on "*.*".
Using this configuration, it works.

Please also be careful with the code. I've seen rpcbind adds 127.0.0.1
automatically. Please make it a warning when someone adds localhost
addresses instead of showing bind errors on the interface address. It's
confusing, because one may think that some other tool blocks the port
or stuff like that. And... yeah... I RTFM. Still, it's confusing when
you forget it.

I hope, I could help you a bit.