Re: WIP: ATA to CAM integration

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
:meh.. found this via google:
:
:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/storage-accessories,1787-2.html
:
:The article claims it's AHCI compliant..  though the addonics web page
:doesn't specifically says so from a cursory glance here:
:
:http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/extpm.asp
:
:and the other form factors.
:http://www.addonics.com/products/pm/
:
:	-Phil.

    I think they mis-spoke.  They are SATA-compliant and Port Multiplier
    compliant, and they use FIS-based packets, so they pretty much do away
    with all the ATA baggage, but they don't use the AHCI device interface
    so they won't probe as an AHCI driver.

    I can see why they do it that way, though.  It looks like they hide
    most of the complexity behind the chipset, which is nice.  AHCI
    exposes a lot of that complexity.

    It looks like a reasonable chipset.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon