Re: tmpfs experimental?

From: Ben Kelly <ben_at_wanderview.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:10:41 -0400
Ivan Voras wrote:
> Ben Kelly wrote:
>> I get some slightly unexpected behavior when mount <mountpoint> is run
>> multiple times:
>>
>>   ianto# mount | grep ' /tmp'
>>   tmpfs on /tmp (tmpfs, local)
>>   ianto# mount /tmp
>>   ianto# mount | grep ' /tmp'
>>   tmpfs on /tmp (tmpfs, local)
>>   tmpfs on /tmp (tmpfs, local)
>>   ianto# umount /tmp
>>   ianto# mount | grep ' /tmp'
>>   tmpfs on /tmp (tmpfs, local)
>
> Sorry, maybe I'm missing the point, but what is wrong with the above
> behaviour? AFAIK you are allowed to mount multiple file systems on the
> same directory, though it isn't very useful.

I guess I just found it confusing because it effectively made files
disappear from my file system.  This was a surprise to me since I was
interpreting fstab as saying "mount a single tmpfs file system here".
The only other file system I really had to compare it to was a writable
UFS partition which does not exhibit this behavior.

Anyway, I have no problem if this is expected behavior.  Just mentioning
what I thought was an oddity.  Overall its been very stable for me.

- Ben