ATI X1950Pro behaves oddly with radeon driver and DRI enabled

From: Вячеслав Гребенюков <studentslava_at_mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:41:09 +0400
Hello.

I'm trying to get working my Sapphire X1950 Pro (512 mb) in xorg. With DRI disabled everything works just fine, except that there's no acceleration. With DRI enabled all I can see is the screen full of garbage - usually it's the picture that was on the screen right before reboot or xorg shutdown with some repetitions of ttys images. But those parts that drawn without help of graphics acceleration - xterm screens for example - are in good condition. Mostly. Their TWM frames are not drawn, along with the headers. If I switch to the console and then back, the screen becomes clean (i.e. pure black background and correctly drawn xterm windows), but is still static - it doesn't change it's content whenewer an accelerated action is performed (i.e. window mowements). Accelerated mouse cursor works just fine though.
Logs show no errors. I can even launch glxgears in xterm and it outputs FPS without complains - got somewhat around 6600 FPS, which is much higher than when launched wtith DRI disabled (about 600).
I tried several options from the radeon driver man page but without any success (EXA/XAA for example). I also tried the radeonhd driver, but it only makes my display flicker.

My system is about one week old, and everything was built from the scratch. Latest snapshots of drm module and radeon driver also didn't help. Hardware: C2D E4500, M/B Gigabyte GA-G33M DS2R (Intel G33 chipset), 2 GB RAM, Dell WFP 3007 (2560x1600 max res - tried  1280x800 without any luck). xorg.conf is the one which generated by "Xorg -configure".

Any ideas how to fix it?

Regards.
Slava.