Re: smbfs.ko regression?

From: Thomas Backman <serenity_at_exscape.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:05:31 +0200
On Jun 18, 2009, at 06:48 PM, Thomas Backman wrote:

> Has anyone else had trouble with smbfs.ko/samba mounting recently?
>
> I upgraded to r194428 today, and on reboot noticed that the computer
> had hanged (i.e. took way too long to boot), so I plugged a monitor
> in and noticed that it had hanged on loading the smbfs module/
> mounting a smbfs share, and then the same thing happened on
> "mounting late filesystems" (dmesg -a | grep late returns nothing
> now that it works, BTW). IIRC it dropped to single-user due to "/etc/
> rc returing an error" or something to that matter. I commented the
> line out in fstab and did an "exit" and it came up from single user
> beautifully.
> The error appears to be a bit random and I haven't been able to
> reproduce it, but it happened two or three times so it wasn't just a
> one-off. It did print some kind of error, but I guess there's no way
> of getting at that now?
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

OK, ignore this. Totally silly error on my side and it has nothing to
do with smbfs or even FreeBSD, it was... ahem, hardware related. As in
a cable being half-plugged in, half not. Damn 8P8C/RJ45 connectors
breaking... ;)

Regards,
Thomas

PS. I haven't tried unloading it, though - that's got to be a real
issue. Currently compiling world+kernel so I'm not very willing to try
it right now.