Re: zpool scrub errors on 3ware 9550SXU

From: <ianjhart_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:34:42 +0100
Quoting ianjhart_at_ntlworld.com:

> Quoting Kip Macy <kmacy_at_freebsd.org>:
>

>>> As usual scrubs cleanly on 7.2. Started throwing errors within a
>>> few minutes under 8. Then it paniced, possibly due to scrub -s.
>>>
>>> It's sat at the DB prompt if there's anything I can do. I'll need
>>> idiots guide level instruction. I have a screen dump if someone
>>> want to step up. Off list?
>>>
>>> Highlight seems to be...
>>>
>>> Memory modified after free 0xffffff0004da0c00(248) val=3000000 _at_
>>> 0xffffff0004dc00
>>> Panic: most recently used by none
>>
>> Can you test with recent 7-STABLE? That would tell me whether or not
>> your hitting a general HEAD issues or problems with the v13 import.
>
> It's doing a scrub under 7.2 following another failed test. I'll
> pull it up to stable after that.
>
> Have more data will post that once I've done a couple a jobs.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Kip

Here's that extra data.

Updated 3ware/AMCC card firmware.

Enable onboard SATA and fit a 300GB SATA disk. Remove the floppy and
fit a second 300GB SATA disk.

Remove the two 500GB disks and replace with 1.5TB units. I can now
create two 8 disk raidz2 giving the same 12 disks worth of storage I
had with one 14 disk raidz2.

Reinstall the two O/S on the 300GB drives.

<slight tangent>
May be of use to someone, so bear with me.

Reset to BIOS defaults. Some issues! Disabling sound helps.

Now suspect motherboard BIOS may be part of the problem. Removed both
cards and tested each version in turn.

ref: http://www.tyan.com.tw/support_download_bios.aspx?model=S.S2895

Started with 1.04 ended up with 1.04. Versions after, detect the
internal; SATA disks as 150 not 300. Most versions lock the keyboard
(KVM) when legacy USB is enabled. That's a PITA when you've just taken
the floopy disk out.No internal SATA disk settings. Be nice to check
the geometry as 7 and 8 sysinstall seem to be behaving differently.

With the cards back in.

Add an ATA disk and CDROM while testing.Easyboot order is SATA0 ATA0
SATA1. Fdisk the so far blank ATA disk :)

On board audio clashes with something. BIOS 1.03 and later supports 16
SCSI boot devices. I disabled booting from the RAID card to allow the
onboard SATA drives to boot.

Out of space for option ROM error has gone.

AFAIK CPUs are late enough to support DDR400. Check anyway. Clock down
to 333Mhz. Still fails.

</slight tangent>

There's one last thing, this BIOS (1.04) does not supply the fix for
AMD errata 169. Later BIOS incorrectly detect the onboard SATA disks.

Northbridge System Request Queue may stall.

ref:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25759.pdf

We don't seem to  have /dev/msr. Could I fix this using (the shiny
new) cpucontrol?

Thanks