Re: GPT boot with ZFS RAIDZ "ZFS: i/o error - all blockcopies unavailable"

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:29:59 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Wootton" <paul_at_fletchermoorland.co.uk>

> As bad as it sounds, YAY, im not the only one...
> If only I had seen this thread earlier - As of 1 hours ago im the new
> owner of another 500Gb drive. I had already checked the SMART data on
> the drives and it showed everything was good, but decided some new
> drivers (getting one at a time) would help me eliminate the drives as
> being the source of the LBA errors.
>
> Interesting though, my LBA errors are also around the 429xxxxxxx number,
> usually with the 3rd of 4th number being somewhere around 8xxx.
> After rebuilding and populating the pack many many times with various
> versions of 8 I did manage to get a pack that would try and boot the
> kernel with out any LBA or IO errors but I had forgotten to add the
> zpool.cache file. I rebooted on a working drive/installation, pushed the
> zpool.cache file across and tried booting off raidz hoping that all
> would be good and happy, but no, the LBA errors started appearing...

You might want to check what LBA mode is being used. Some disks require
you to use 48bit LBA for all of the disk if supported and I've seen
some drivers use it only if they "think" its required for the position
in question, which can cause issues with the firmware on some drives,
resulting in LBA errors.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.