Re: RFC: Replacing bc/dc to BSDL versions

From: Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev_at_physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:10:57 +0200
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:56:49AM +0200, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Gabor Kovesdan escribió:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as you might know, I'm working on a BSDL grep. It isn't totally ready
>> yet, because there are compatibility issues, which I have to resolve.
>> But looking at another BSDL tools, I've found out that OpenBSD has
>> BSDL bc and dc utilities. I've thought of replacing them. I think in
>> the bc/dc case, such a strict GNU compatibility isn't necessary as in
>> the case of grep, so we may replace them in base system. If there's no
>> objection to replacing them, I'll post a patch for review.
> Thanks for all your input. It took a while because of other priorities
> but I've made some tests concerning BSDL bc/dc. I've made a complete
> buildworld and tried mergemaster, which worked fine. I've also checked
> the GNU regression tests comparing the two versions. There's little
> difference. The speed is varying, sometimes GNU is faster, sometimes the
> BSDL versions. The accuracy seems to be the same up to 18 digits after
> the decimal point. I've also checked the OpenBSD regression tests found
> only one case, which didn't work but these tests seem to be specific for
> BSDL bc/dc as they don't really work with the GNU version.
>
> I've made a patch, which doesn't remove GNU bc/dc yet, just detaches
> them from the build so that in case of a regression we can easily revert
> while the problem is fixed:
> http://kovesdan.org/patches/bcdc.diff

Thanks!
I'm running the system with BSD bc/dc now.
The only small thing I've noticed is:

~> dc -h
dc: invalid option -- h
usage: dc [-hVx] [-e expression] [file]
~> dc --help
usage: dc [-hVx] [-e expression] [file]

This seems to come from this line in dc.c:

+       /* accept and ignore a single dash to be 4.4BSD dc(1) compatible */
+       while ((ch = getopt_long(argc, argv, "e:f:Vx", long_options, NULL)) != -1) {

Possibly one should just use "e:f:Vhx"?
Otherwise looks good, I'm using dc from time to time.

Alexey.