Re: cpufreq probs dual core intel

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:54:36 -0700
It makes it hard to follow the thread.
Why?
Please don't top post.

> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:54:21 -0700
> From: Ron Freidel <rfreidel_at_gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Ok, a little more info...
>
> plugged in
>
> leroy# sysctl hw.acpi.acline
> hw.acpi.acline: 1
>
> unplugged
> leroy# sysctl hw.acpi.acline
> hw.acpi.acline: 0
>
> and from /var/log/messages
> Jun 27 07:18:46 leroy power_profile: changed to 'economy'
> Jun 27 07:18:57 leroy power_profile: changed to 'performance'
>
> When unplugged the screen dims, the machine seems to slow down, yet heres
> the problem...
> plugged in
>
> leroy# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
>
> unplugged
>
> leroy# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
>
> I can change the freq using sysctl but it doesn't stick, no crash or
> anything though.
>
> Whats odd to me is the temp the cpu is running at.
> unplugged
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 54
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 55
> plugged in
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 61
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 62
>
> Everything seems to be working as it should, just that pesky cpu freq
>
> Oh by the way, the laptop is a Dell Latitude D820, and I did find out after
> testing acpi sleep while X/gnome is running it works! And another side
> note... with FreeBSD 7.2 I get approx 2 hours battery life using wifi,
> windows gives 1.5 hrs, OpenSolaris 1 hour, have not left the laptop
> unplugged with current long enough to test.

I'm now suspicious that this is a BIOS issue. A test for the real clock
speed is to install sysutils/gkrellm2 and misc/gkx86info2. (There are
probably other tools to do this, but this is what I use.) This will
report he actual (measured) clock frequency (not to mention a lot of
other useful system information). Note that only real frequency changes
made by EST will show up. Both throttling and TCC use a scheme of
skipping N of eight clock cycles. The actual clock frequency does not
change.

If EST is working, it will show up. I suspect that you will see a
different frequency on battery. On many Lenovo/IBM laptops, the system
drops the maximum clock from 2 GHz to 800 MHz when on battery. This is
not anything to do with powerd.

Have you checked with the Lenovo web site for BIOS updates?