Re: cpufreq probs dual core intel

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:15:04 -0700
> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:54:21 -0700
> From: Ron Freidel <rfreidel_at_gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Ok, a little more info...
>
> plugged in
>
> leroy# sysctl hw.acpi.acline
> hw.acpi.acline: 1
>
> unplugged
> leroy# sysctl hw.acpi.acline
> hw.acpi.acline: 0
>
> and from /var/log/messages
> Jun 27 07:18:46 leroy power_profile: changed to 'economy'
> Jun 27 07:18:57 leroy power_profile: changed to 'performance'
>
> When unplugged the screen dims, the machine seems to slow down, yet heres
> the problem...
> plugged in
>
> leroy# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
>
> unplugged
>
> leroy# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
>
> I can change the freq using sysctl but it doesn't stick, no crash or
> anything though.
>
> Whats odd to me is the temp the cpu is running at.
> unplugged
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 54
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 55
> plugged in
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 61
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 62
>
> Everything seems to be working as it should, just that pesky cpu freq
>
> Oh by the way, the laptop is a Dell Latitude D820, and I did find out after
> testing acpi sleep while X/gnome is running it works! And another side
> note... with FreeBSD 7.2 I get approx 2 hours battery life using wifi,
> windows gives 1.5 hrs, OpenSolaris 1 hour, have not left the laptop
> unplugged with current long enough to test.

One final thought on this...run powerd from the command line with the
'-v' option so that you can see if it is trying to change the
frequency. If it is (and I am pretty sure that it is), you can remove
powerd from the list of suspects.

If this proves the case and new BIOS and EC code does not fix the
problem, you might try acpi_at_freebsd.org as the there are people there
with the expertise to better diagnose ACPI issues than I.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)