Re: Continuing saga: FreeBSD -CURRENT hangs with ATA code after April

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:20:51 +0200
Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> I started this thread on May 31 of last year:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-May/085923.html
>
> The problem remains as of:
>
> FreeBSD fugu.marcuscom.com 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #12: Sun Mar
> 1 16:10:52 EST 2009
> gnome_at_fugu.marcuscom.com:/space/obj/usr/src/sys/FUGU  i386
>
> The only way I can boot this system is to hack in the ATA code from
> April 9, 2008.  I would love just to be able to boot this guy on a
> default -CURRENT.

1) If I understand right, you had working system on April 9, 2008 and
not working on May 31, 2008 and now. Have you tried to narrow down that
interval between working and not working system to find exact point of
breakage? I see no documented changes in Promise support there in CVS
log, but for example, on Apr 10 2008 I see some related changes
unmentioned in commit message.

2) To properly associate problem with present sources I would like to
see full problem verbose messages for the current HEAD.

3) As my mom told me 15 years ago, if you don't understand what's going
on, insert debugging printfs. If system hangs and we have no other
sources of information, I would start from putting
	printf("%s\n", __func__);
wherever it is possible to get readable path. I would start from every
ata_promise_mio_* function beginning of HEAD code.

--
Alexander Motin