Re: bsdtar lockup on Current-03/10/2009

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:29:59 -0700
Pegasus Mc Cleaft wrote:

> 	I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem: Any use of bsdtar to
> create a new archive causes the process to be unresponsive to all signals and
> consumes 100% cpu time. The machine I am testing on is a Core 2 quad running
> in AMD64 (8 gigs ram, zfs boot, root, et al.)

I just merged a lot of changes into FreeBSD-CURRENT.
Any of the following would help me diagnose this:

  * libarchive and bsdtar have test suites:
      $ cd /usr/src/lib/libarchive && make check
      $ cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tar && make check
    Any errors are suspect.

  * A stack trace from gdb is most useful if both
    libarchive and bsdtar are built with debugging symbols:
      $ cd /usr/src/lib/libarchive
      $ make DEBUG_FLAGS=-g clean all install
      $ cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tar
      $ make DEBUG_FLAGS=-g clean all install
      $ gdb tar
      > run -cvf /dev/null /
      Control-C
      > bt

  * A system call trace is also very helpful:
      $ ktrace tar -cvf /dev/null *
    Email me <kientzle_at_freebsd.org> the ktrace.out file.

Any of the above would help me to narrow the
problem down quite a bit.  I'll also try to
reproduce it here.

Cheers,

Tim