Re: linux 3d applications keep crashing

From: Sean C. Farley <scf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:58:04 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Michal Varga wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Alexander Best
> <alexbestms_at_math.uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>> thanks for the hint. setting compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 works. :-)
>> settings compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.20 let's quake4 crash with the
>> very same error message when using compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16.
>>
> Ah, I missed the .20 part. I think "2.4.2" and "2.6.16" are the magic
> words to flip 2.4/2.6 linuxulators, as far as I know there should be
> no other sub-versions doing anything specific (yes, too lazy to check
> sources). I'd assume that setting 2.4.20 just enables the default
> path, that is 2.6 on -CURRENT.

Setting 2.4.20 and greater flips a switch in the linker to use NPTL as
opposed to LinuxThreads (old threading library).

Here are some good links about the different versions and how they can
be changed for execution of a program:
http://my.opera.com/onyxluo/blog/2008/10/15/metalink-note-433292-1-ld-assume-kernel-environment-variable
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html

A discussion for Ubuntu on running old Loki games:

Gentoo use to have a page on Loki games:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Running_Old_Loki_Games

Information on running Alpha Centauri on a Linux v2.6:
http://lordhedgehog.hedgie.com/smac/

Information on running different versions of Unreal Tournament:
http://members.shaw.ca/dan.mckay/LinGam.html

Personally, I have tried to get games/linux-ut to run using linux-f8 and
x11/nvidia-driver on RELENG_7 using various means.  These means have
included attempts such as setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.2 before running
it and/or using a separate directory of linux-fc4 libraries.  I may have
missed a combination.

I think if running it under linux-fc4 with compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2
works it would be nice to be able to run multiple Linux bases at
different compatibility versions.  Obviously, this is anything but
trivial.

BTW, games/sauerbraten is a good OpenGL-based game that is compiled
native for FreeBSD.  It works well with the nvidia driver.

Sean
--
scf_at_FreeBSD.org