Re: ZFS data error without reasons

From: Michael David Crawford <mdc_at_prgmr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:11:29 -0700
kevin wrote:
> Will any changes cause zfs data error?I find my disk data error without
> any reasons(shutdown or reboot  normally).disk was bought
> yesterday.

If it's really a brand-new disk, I suggest running the manufacturer's
disk testing utility to see if the drive could actually be defective.

Don't just depend on Open Source tools - the proprietary utilities can
often access proprietary, undocumented drive firmware features that are
put there specifically for diagnostic purposes, and so do a better job
of testing the drive than any Open Source tool could.

The problem might just be some bad sectors on your media.  If that's the
case, the diagnostic utility will remap the bad sectors.  If the utility
does report bad sector remapping, do a full scan again, and keep
repeating until no more bad sectors are found.

If you scan more than a couple times and bad sectors are still turning
up, your drive is probably beyond repair, and should be RMAed.

All the drive manufacturers provide these utilities; go to the
manufacturer's website and look either in the Support link, or the
Drivers and Downloads link.

Hope That Helps,

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc_at_prgmr.com

    prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

       Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen