Re: linux 3d applications keep crashing

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:39:17 -0500
On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 09:41 -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> Garrett Cooper writes:
>
> >  	So instead of lurking and complaining, why not contribute to
> >  the cause?
>
> 	While I sympathize on the complaining ... the response is
> problematic.
> 	I see two ways to contribute to the main problem, which is lack
> of usable code.  (For the moment let's discount "testing" and
> "documentation".)
> 	One could help with one of the open source drivers.  Worthy
> project, but a lot of work involving a skill-set beyond even many
> coders experienced in other fields.  (I'm assuming none of these
> drivers are on the cusp of a magic moment where lot of good things
> suddenly happen and it's a coast downhill from there.)
> 	The alternative - which sounds seductive but may have its own
> issues - would be to fill the Nvidia requests and let them write and
> maintain the code.  Again, worthy project (which might have
> collateral benefits).  Again, a lot of work.  And an even more
> esoteric skill-set.
> 	If you have some other way a person with limited technical
> skills can contribute - tell!  I'm getting closer to buying a new
> system, and I'd love to have a moderm graphics card running at full
> capacity.  And, as long as it didn't explode in their faces, I think
> many others might be willing to help as well.

At this exact moment, radeon is leading the pack.  Intel doesn't suck
that bad, if an IGP suits your needs.  Generally, Intel is a little
harder for me to work with than ATI.  The nouveau team is quite good to
work with as well and I now have at least nv40 class hardware working
with EXA and Xv.  I started working with the NV50 hardware last night,
but I don't have it quite working yet.

The features that Nvidia has requested are fairly reasonable and could
be used in the open source drivers as well.  But, even if/when we
deliver those features, they may not be MFC-able.  Any ABI changes in
either Xorg or our kernel, generally will render the blob useless...

robert.