Re: ichwd on ich9 attach failing ?

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:44:11 +0200
on 16/03/2009 17:01 Mike Tancsa said the following:

> Hi,
>         No luck.  I have a X58 board that also does not work, but in a
> different way
>
> ichwd module loaded
> ichwd0: <Intel ICH10R watchdog timer> on isa0
> ichwd0: Intel ICH10R watchdog timer (ICH10 or equivalent)
> ppc0: parallel port not found.
>
> watchdogd starts up fine, but a kill -9 to it does not result in the box
> resetting.

I think that we have tough luck here unless somebody from Intel would be willing
to help us. Linux is in the same boat, BTW. You can try it and see.
My findings here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2009-January/005419.html

Harald's issue might also be related to this, but I think that he has something
else going on as well. Inability to change that means two things - either we don't
access that register correctly (something is messed up on the bigger scale or BIOS
took all control and we can't set that bit, period.

Things to experiment with (for Harald):
1. try to disable whatever watchdog-related you have enabled in BIOS;
2. try to disable that block of code that checks the bit and see if watchdog can
work despite that bit having the unwanted value;

--
Andriy Gapon