Re: atacontrol reinit ataX does work only sporadically on FreeBSd 8.0-CURRENT/amd64

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:32:18 +0200
O. Hartmann wrote:
> Running a box with FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #4 r189874.
> Try to attach a SATA harddrive via atacontrol. This drive is attached to
> the controller 'ata9' (ICH9 on P35-based board). BIOS has 'AHCI' on all
> controller enabled, so far everything seems to be all right.
>
> Well, I performed 'atacontrol reinit ata9' and 'atacontrol attach ata9'
> once sucessfully, but after detaching, extracting the drive and
> attaching it again this task does not perform successfully anymore.
>
> dmesg shows
>
> ata9: port is not ready (timeout 10000ms)
> ata9: port is not ready (timeout 1000ms)
> ata9: software reset clear timeout
> ata9: port is not ready (timeout 10000ms)
> ata9: port is not ready (timeout 10000ms)
> ata9: port is not ready (timeout 1000ms)
> ata9: software reset clear timeout
>
> Has anyone any idea what's up?

Can you repeat the same with verbose messages enabled?

Do you hear drive spin-up sound when you are doing attach? If so, does
it finish before you are receiving timeout message?

Actually reinit does not help you, as it does not attaches new drives at
this time, only able to detach removed. Same time detach/attach works
fine for me on ICH8R.

--
Alexander Motin