Re: Is wpa_supplicant supposed to work with a hidden ssid?

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:23:10 -0700
Michael Butler wrote:

> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> I spent a pretty long, frustrating evening last night getting
>> wpa_supplicant working with my Intel 3945abg (wpi) card. I could
>> connect when the network was open, or using WEP just fine. However it
>> turned out that I could not connect with WPA unless the AP was showing
>> the ssid.
>>

> I thought we used to use "scan_ssid=1" for this. Has it changed?

Nope, you're right.  wpa_supplicant.conf(5) calls it out clearly:

     scan_ssid
             SSID scan technique; 0 (default) or 1.  Technique 0 scans
for the
             SSID using a broadcast Probe Request frame while 1 uses a
             directed Probe Request frame.  Access points that cloak them-
             selves by not broadcasting their SSID require technique 1, but
             beware that this scheme can cause scanning to take longer
to com-
             plete.

though obviously you need to know to look there.  Thank you.

    Sam