Re: 802.11b broken in -CURRENT?

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:15:26 -0700
Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> Actually this just promulgates misunderstandings and voodoo that
>> others will ape.  This is what you need to setup an 11b-only ap on
>> the best available channel:
>>
>> ifconfig wlan create wlandev ath0 wlanmode hostap mode 11b ssid
>> OpenWrt up
>>
>> For the sta side:
>>
>> ifconfig wlan create wlandev ath0 mode 11b ssid OpenWrt up
>>
>> If the above does not work please enable debugging with wlandebug and
>> file a PR.
>
> ETOOMUCHCOFFEE :-)
> Yup, I found this worked too.

Sorry for the winging.  In the sta-side case you don't need "mode 11b"
if the ap is 11b-only; you only need it if you want to force 11b
operation when talking to a b/g ap.  This can also be done by locking
down the channel spec with "channel 6:b" (works for both sta and ap
configs).

The mode knob just controls the set of channels placed in the scan list
and is mostly useful to constrain operation of multi-band cards and/or
to reduce scan time (which can also be done with the chanlist control).
There are techniques we could add to make scanning super-fast but they
require proper roaming support which isn't feasible w/ the current
quality of our drivers.

On the ap side there are "pureg" and "puren" knobs for constraining
operation as 11g and 11n channel specs are bi-modal (b/g and legacy/11n).

    Sam