Re: HEADS UP: IFF_NEEDSGIANT consumers to be disabled, removed (was: Re: Wiki page for non-MPSAFE network stack de-orbit scheduling)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:20:04 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Robert Watson wrote:

> The following schedule is proposed, assuming nothing goes horribly wrong
> with the new USB code in the next few weeks, and remaining nits relating to
> USB network and 802.11 drivers are handled:
>
> 16 February 2009	HEADS UP to lists (this e-mail)
> 01 March 2009		Disable build of all IFF_NEEDSGIANT drivers in 8.x
> 01 April 2009		Remove all IFF_NEEDSGIANT drivers from 8.x

Just a teminder that 1 April is gradually approaching.  At that point I will
remove from the tree the various non-MPSAFE network device drivers that are
already disconnected from the build, incuding if_sl, if_ppp, if_ar, and the
old USB ethernet drivers.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge