Re: Booting from usb hard disk

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:10:54 -0400
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Robert Noland <rnoland_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> So I have my i386 install on a usb hard disk, which I can only boot on
> one machine now.  ...
>
> robert.
>
> --
> Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
> FreeBSD

There is one more ( at least ) problem : During installation . FreeBSD 7.0
is recording number of hard disk into installed values ( for example : First
disk , second disk , etc. ) .
When order of disks are changed FreeBSD is NOT able to boot because of
hard-coded disk numbers ( for example when second disk is made third , or
first with boot ability ) .

This means that always USB disks should have the SAME device number  during
booting . If order of attachment changes  it is very likely that it will not
boot successfully .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk