Re: [HEADSUP] amd64 suspend/resume code to be comitted

From: Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:06:19 -0500
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Gustau Perez <gperez_at_entel.upc.edu> wrote:
> Brandon Gooch wrote:

>>> I went ahead and committed slightly different version.  Please resync
>>> the source if you tested the old version.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jung-uk Kim
>>>

>  Hi there,
>
>  in my Latitude D630 with 8-0 current updated this morning (+1 UTC) it seems
> is trying to work. It has no xorg, just text console.
>
>  First got to compile if_bge as a module, kldunloading it before acpiconf -s
> 3. With if_bge compiled in the kernel I started to see some bge0 : ... PHY
> read timeout, and then the machine freezed.
>
>  Then, when resuming I got no video(but the keyboard was working, I was able
> to echo "Hi there" > /tmp/prova with success!). I tried hw.acpi.reset_video
> with no success. The other one I tried was debug.acpi.suspend_bounce. No
> luck.
>
>   Do you have any alternatives I can try ?
>
>  Greets,
>
>  Gus
>
>  PD : is there any plan to work it to  i386 ?

For now, it seems X is required. The "switch-to-VTY-and-back-again"
solution works for me:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/laptop/power-management.html

In my /etc/rc.suspend:

/usr/sbin/vidcontrol -s 1 < /dev/console

In my /etc/rc.resume:

/usr/sbin/vidcontrol -s 9 < /dev/console

I've also seen various posts in forums and on mailing lists
about using the "vbetool" program (in ports), but I haven't messed
with it myself.

See here for more detail on this issue (under "Low Priority Tasks"):

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/acpi/#todo-list

-Brandon