Re: Wireless connection (WPA-EAP) stops working after a while

From: Daniel Thiele <dthiele_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 01:06:07 +0100
Sam Leffler wrote:
> Daniel Thiele wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem with my wireless connection. I am running FreeBSD
>> 8.0-CURRENT (from Mar 22) with wpa_supplicant v0.6.8 using an Atheros
>> based ExpressCard (D-Link DWA-643 via ath(4)) and alternatively a Ralink
>> based USB adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC-EU via rum(4)).
>>
>> At home using the Atheros card together with a FreeBSD (7.1) based
>> access point (using rum(4) in hostap mode) and the wpa_supplicant.conf
>> (attached at the end of this email) settings for SSID="home" I don't
>> have any problems. With a Linksys WRT54GL-DE access point
>> running the OpenWRT White Russian 0.9 firmware and OpenVPN over an open
>> wireless LAN also works flawlessly.
>>
>> At the university, however, (SSID="IDA" in the wpa_supplicant.conf at
>> the end of this email) the wireless connection only works for about an
>> hour. The vague term "wireless connection" in this case means, that the
>> WPA connection is opened and associated, then I get an IP address via
>> dhclient. There is a message about "OpenSSL: tls_connection_handshake -
>> Failed to read possible Application Data
>> error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)" and "TLS: Unsupported Phase2
>> EAP method 'MSCHAPv2'" but the authentication seems to succeed:
>>

> Do you know if this is a regression w/ the 0.6.8 supplicant I recently
> imported (i.e. relative to 0.5.11+HEAD)?

Unfortunately I cannot answer that, since I have not been running
CURRENT for that long. Is there a way I can help to test that? I still
have my old notebook (7.1-STABLE running wpa_supplicant 0.5.10 with ipw
and rum wireless adapters). I can get the logs from that machine, too,
if that would help.

> Jouni just released a 0.6.9
> version and it appeared to have a fix that might be appropriate.  I need
> to digest your logs to understand but you can try importing 0.6.9 yourself.

I will give it a try. Just now I merged the diffs between 0.6.8 and
0.6.9 to my /usr/src. Except for
wpa_supplicant-0.6.8/src/common/nl80211_copy.h,
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/src/l2_packet/l2_packet_linux.c and,
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/wpa_supplicant/Makefile
I was able to apply the diffs.

I will try this at university on Thursday or Friday and report any
success or failure here.

Thanks for the help and hints so far.

Daniel