Re: Wireless connection (WPA-EAP) stops working after a while

From: Daniel Thiele <dthiele_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 02:05:46 +0100
Sam Leffler wrote:
> Daniel Thiele wrote:
>> Sam Leffler wrote:

>>> Do you know if this is a regression w/ the 0.6.8 supplicant I recently
>>> imported (i.e. relative to 0.5.11+HEAD)?
>>
>> Unfortunately I cannot answer that, since I have not been running
>> CURRENT for that long. Is there a way I can help to test that? I still
>> have my old notebook (7.1-STABLE running wpa_supplicant 0.5.10 with ipw
>> and rum wireless adapters). I can get the logs from that machine, too,
>> if that would help.
>
> You could rollback wpa_supplicant using svn/cvs but it's a bit painful
> as the changes were extensive due to the switch from the 0.5 series
> releases to 0.6.  Alternatively you could rollback your entire tree to
> r189262 (I think) and you'd have the previous code.
>

>>> Jouni just released a 0.6.9
>>> version and it appeared to have a fix that might be appropriate.  I need
>>> to digest your logs to understand but you can try importing 0.6.9
>>> yourself.
>>
>> I will give it a try. Just now I merged the diffs between 0.6.8 and
>> 0.6.9 to my /usr/src. Except for
>> wpa_supplicant-0.6.8/src/common/nl80211_copy.h,
>> wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/src/l2_packet/l2_packet_linux.c and,
>> wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/wpa_supplicant/Makefile
>> I was able to apply the diffs.
>
> We do not use any of these files.  You might be better off looking at
> diff's between 0.6.8 and 0.6.9 and selectively applying changes to
> usr/src/contrib/wpa.  Some of these may be ignored as Jouni took back
> some changes I provided him.

That's what I did. Sorry, if I was too vague about that in my reply
above. One thing I also noticed was that OID_802_3_MULTICAST_LIST which
is used in 0.6.9's src/drivers/driver_ndis.c by ndis_add_multicast()
does not seem to be defined anywhere in the 0.6.9 sources, which caused
make in usr.sbin/wpa to fail. Since I am not using the NDIS driver I
made ndis_add_multicast() return -1 to make make work again.

> Note that usr.sbin/wpa/wpa_supplicant has the driver for freebsd and a
> reach-over Makefile; we do not use Jouni's bsd driver or his build
> structure.
>

>> I will try this at university on Thursday or Friday and report any
>> success or failure here.
>
> I'll try to look at merging 0.6.9 quickly.

I am using the patched wpa_supplicant right now from home, so at least
didn't break anything obvious. I will try either this setup or
(preferred) your merged version at university and see how far I can get.

Thanks,

Daniel