Re: New mergemaster option to install files that differ only by $FreeBSD

From: Andreas Tobler <andreast-list_at_fgznet.ch>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:54:57 +0100
Doug Barton wrote:
> Andreas Tobler wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote:
>>> This was already discussed on -stable recently, so I've committed the
>>> change in order to get it MFCed prior to the 7.2 code freeze.
>>>
>>> Would those of you who were concerned about this issue during the last
>>> round of discussions please test this new option and report back?
>> An understanding question here, should this also work when upgrading
>> from cvs based install to an svn based install?
>
> Yes, assuming that you've checked out the sources properly and
> actually have the svn Id string. I'm not sure how you got what you got
> there, but when I check out the sources with svn I get something like
> this:
>
> # $FreeBSD: head/etc/pam.d/ftpd 170510 2007-06-10 18:57:20Z yar $

Hm, then it seems to me that I did something 'wrong' when I co'ed the
svn repository. I am an anonymous user, aka having no svn account.

This how I co'ed the repo:

svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head src

Doing so gives me a  $FreeBSD$ on top of each file w/o a rev id.

Do I need something else to be passed to svn co?

> Assuming you've run mergemaster on this installation previously you
> could use the -U option to install new files that you haven't modified.

Well, in my case I did type 'i' many times and now I am happy with a 2
hour install/upgrade cycle from 7.1 to current.

Thanks,
Andreas