Re: unable to boot ZFS with gptzfsboot from an exported zpool

From: Philipp Wuensche <cryx-freebsd_at_h3q.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:04:03 +0100
Mark Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Mark Powell wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Philipp Wuensche wrote:
>>
>>> So it is wanted not to boot from an exported zpool? Why is that so?
>>
>> I'm not sure 'why'.
>
> Perhaps, something to do with why the -f flag exists to zpool import.
>   Actually, this is one of the reasons why I may well just stick with
> UFS for root. I was hit by this problem a few times whilst experimenting
> with zfsroot. I don't want to ever pull out that DVD again! :)

I tried booting from the exported zpool and it works with a patches
zfsimpl.c as far as booting the kernel goes. Mounting the rootfs does
not work, because the zpool.cache and the zpool think differently about
what state they are in.

The import -f command is for importing a pool which is currently
imported by another system or active as they say. Importing an exported
zpool should be no problem at all and I don't see a reason this
shouldn't be possible when booting too.

Maybe FreeBSD should try to import the zpool before trying to mount the
rootfs?

greetings,
philipp