Slow network problem

From: Sebastiaan van Doesselaar <sebastiaan_at_akiha.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:41:17 +0100
Dear all,

At the moment I'm running a CURRENT snapshot from February, yet
somehow my network speeds are quite low. I've tested this with iperf,
SMB and SCP, yet all give me more or less the same speeds, which is
about 50 - 60Mbps. The weird thing is that this is only the case when
the FreeBSD machine receives data, sending data is all fine. At least,
with a 100Mbps link iperf gives me quite decent speeds (>90Mbps)

This is the case for gigabit as well as 100Mbps, depending on what
cable I use to the switch.
I've also tested this directly, with a cable to a machine, but this
was to no avail. I've tried changing some variables with sysctl
(net.inet.tcp.recvspace, sendspace, recvbuf_auto,
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf), yet those did not do anything.

dmesg has this to say about the network card:
rgephy0: <RTL8169S/8110S/8211B media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
1000baseT-FDX, aut

I cannot say I've tested this with a STABLE release, but in Windows
and Gentoo Linux this worked fine.

I have found one person with a seemingly similar problem, but this
person had the problem a couple of years ago and did not resolve it at
the time, or so it seems. See http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/freebsd-hackers/2006/5/30/214298
  for his thread.

I hope someone can give me some tips that will solve this problem. If
information is lacking, please do say so.

With kind regards,
	Sebastiaan van Doesselaar