Re: [HEADSUP] amd64 suspend/resume code to be comitted

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:48:20 -0400
On Sunday 29 March 2009 06:18 pm, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> Just for the record:
>
> I tested amd64 SMP suspend/resume on HP nx7300 via usb stick and it
> works. (video is resumed if agp, drm and i915 are loaded)

Great.  AFAIK, I believe drm(4) for Intel GPUs has proper
suspend/resume code, i.e., rnoland moved the code to MI module and
hooked it up to FreeBSD driver.  Unfortunately, Linux crowd went
crazy about KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) and didn't bother to implement
it for other GPUs:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting

Since we don't have KMS, we have to implement the functionality in our
MD driver modules, i.e., save/restore registers and VRAM.  I believe
rnoland is working on NVidia support code, though.

> Now, if only same is going to happen with i386 ....

I wish I had some free time...

Thanks for the feed back!

Jung-uk Kim